The Truth About Muhammad – Muhammad’s wives
The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World’s Most Intolerant Religion (2006) is a controversial book by Robert Spencer, the director of Jihad Watch and Dhimmi Watch.
In the book the author proposes to present an account of what Muhammad said and did from the writings of the early biographers of Muhammad such as Ibn Ishaq, Ibn Sa’d al-Baghdadi, Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari as well as the Qur’an and the hadith collections of Bukhari and Muslim. In the examination of the early sources, Spencer gives his view on the events of Muhammad’s life which are invoked by contemporary Islamic clerics, governments, advocates and Yusuf al-Qaradawi today as a standard for their behaviour.
The book aims to draw a connection between Muhammad’s legacy and modern day practices like child marriages and divorce laws, punishments such as stoning for adultery and amputation for theft, execution for apostasy as well as the jihad and dhimmi doctrines adopted towards non-Muslims, as found in some parts of the Muslim world.
The book was on the New York Times Best Seller list for the week ending October 14, 2006.
• Pamela Geller; Robert Spencer (July 27, 2010). The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration’s War on America. Threshold Editions. p. 400. ISBN 978-1-4391-8930-6.
• The Complete Infidels’ Guide to the Koran. Regnery Press. September 21, 2009. p. 260.
• Did Muhammad Exist?: An Inquiry Into Islam’s Obscure Origins, ISI Books, March 2012. ISBN
• Stealth Jihad: How Radical Islam is Subverting America without Guns or Bombs. Regnery Press. October 28,
2008. ISBN 978-1-59698-556-8.
• Religion of Peace?: Why Christianity Is and Islam Isn’t, Regnery Publishing, 2007, ISBN 1-59698-515-1
• The Myth of Islamic Tolerance: How Islamic Law Treats Non-Muslims (editor), Prometheus Books, 2005. ISBN
• Onward Muslim Soldiers: How Jihad Still Threatens America and the West, Regnery Publishing, 2003. ISBN
• (with Daniel Ali) (2003). Inside Islam: A Guide for Catholics: 100 questions and answers. Ascension Press. p. 197. ISBN 0-9659228-5-5.
• Islam Unveiled: Disturbing Questions About the World’s Fastest Growing Faith. Encounter Books. October 25,
2002. p. 202. ISBN 1-893554-58-9.
The Horowitz Freedom Center has paid Spencer, as Jihad Watch’s director, a $132,000 salary (2010). Jihad Watch has also received funding from donors supporting the Israeli right, and a variety of individuals and foundations, like Bradley Foundation and Joyce Chernick, wife of Aubrey Chernick.
Response to criticism
Spencer has responded to accusations that Jihad Watch is Islamophobic by declaring the term “Islamophobe” a label, “a tool used by Islamic apologists to silence criticism.” He says that his work is dedicated to identifying the causes of jihad terrorism, which of course lead straight back into the Islamic texts. I have therefore called for reform of those texts… I have dedicated Jihad Watch to defending equality of rights and freedom of conscience for all people. That’s Islamophobic? Then is the fault in the phobe, or in the Islam?